Sunday, March 31, 2013

The sweet & salty brownie

Today I was feeling adventureous. When I first saw the recipe for this brownie in Baked explorations I was thinking "What the hell? Salt on and in a brownie?". It has a caramal filling, and as I´m really scared of making caramel (I´ve NEVER succeeded in making it - it always goes wrong), which gave me a push in it´s direction. I had all the stuff I needed at home, so I could start right away.

The recipe sounded simple enough. First make the salted caramel, than the batter. I had to make the caramel twice, because the first time I accidently used double quantity of the cream. The second batch smelled a little weird - but tasted great!
Then it said to melt the chocolate and the butter, put the sugar in and stir until dissolved. My sugar was very reluctant to dissolve into the mixture, so after 15 minutes of stirring I gave up. I just continued with the next step - putting the eggs and then the flour, cocoa and salt in. The batter looked very nice and gooey. I put half of it into the prepared pan, then the cramel and then batter again. After 40m (10m more that given in the recipe) in the oven it smelled very chocolaty in my flat. I let it cool down while I prepared my lunch. After I finished eating I cut a piece of slightly warm brownie and sat down in front of the TV. Time to try.


It was AMAZING!
I´ve never tasted a brownie even close to this. You can taste the salt, but not in a weird way. It compliments the chocolate and caramel really well. It has the perfect texture and everything. Now I´ll have to put the rest of the pan away or I´ll be seduced to eat it all until the last crump.

I´m in love...

No comments:

Post a Comment